Sunday, March 30, 2008

An exercise in patience

Lu has really impressed me this past week. Not only has he been behaving while sleeping in his big boy bed (e.g not getting up in the middle of the night to cause mayhem), he's also been staying in his room until 6:30am which is when his light turns on.
You see Lu's an early bird and I'm not. So, a couple of weeks ago I found a light timer on clearance at Target and Tom thought we should see if it would help Lu stay in bed longer. Soooooooo, we started using the timer and explained to little Lu that he needs to stay in bed until his light turns on in the morning. Lo and behold, he actually waits for it!!!! Of course he waits laying on the floor in front of his door occasionally whining "mommy daddy mommy daddy light light", but he waits! Who would've thought a 2 year-old could patiently wait for a good 15 minutes for a darn light to turn on? I didn't. But, as soon as that light comes on watch out. He runs into our room yelling "Daddy up! Daddy get up! Morning! Light! Daddy Mommy Daddy!".
I'll take 6:30a over 5a any day. Actually, he didn't get up until 7a this morning, light turning on and all.

So far Project Big Boy Bed has been a success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Auntie Cindy needs to come and visit the early bird. I'm up at 6AM, even on the weekends. Does he poop out early at night, like me? What a smart boy waiting for his light.

JoAnn said...

What a cool solution! :-) I've heard of that but never tried it... probably 'cause our major problem is bedtime vs wake-up time. But it's good to know for future reference.