Sunday, September 2, 2007

Toddler fun...good times

I'm Popeye the sailor man, I live in a garbage can...

Lu has developed quite a sense of humor. He's rather goofy and becoming lots of work fun.


I like to say that Lu's a toddler times 10. He has temper tantrums down and knows exactly how to push my buttons. Last week I thought I'd be a good mom and take him to the library. Well, Lu decided that since there were other kids there he needed to show off and push his own stroller. Of course that meant running into people and said kids. And being the good mom that I am I tried to help him steer which threw him into a tizzy so he just ran into more people. The sh!t finally hit the fan when I commandeered the stroller and he threw an all out tantrum--back arch (check!), screaming (check!), kicking (check!), scratching (check!). In an attempt to get him out of there and check out our books ASAP I bent down to pick him up with my left arm while carrying the books in my right arm. Ha. He threw himself backwards and fell out of my arm and landed head first onto the floor. The screaming got a lot louder. I took the opportunity to quickly strap him into his stroller and head to the check out. While trying to check out as quickly as possible the librarian kindly whispered "You have an overdue fine, but you can pay it next time". Nope, I'm there, I'm paying and checking out my books, fit throwing kid or not! And so I did. By the time we got to the car Lu acted as if nothing had ever happened. Happy as a clam.
Wish I had pictures of that scene.

While Lu's great at throwing tantrums at inappropriate times he Lu won't make a good poker player any time soon. I know when he's either about to do something or in the midst of doing something he's not supposed to be doing by that look in his eye and devilish grin on his face...his "tell" if you will.


Surprise, surprise; he's a daredevil too! When I pick Lu up from daycare we usually hang out for about an hour so he can play outside with all the cool toys and I can chat with the teachers and other parents. Well a few days ago I hear one of the teachers say, "Oh, look at Lucius!" So I look and see my son standing on one of those push and ride toys, hands grasping the handle bars,and rolling down the sloped pavement. The look on his face was of pure joy; I've never seen a smile so wide and eyes so big. Of course the ride abruptly ended when the push and ride hit the grass. Luckily Lu's fallen enough times that he knows to catch himself with his hands, so he only ended up with a scratched arm instead of a major head injury. I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of the emergency room over the next few years.






Besides keeping family and friends posted about Lu's life, I created this blog to document Lu's development/accomplishments/stats/etc... since I don't journal or scrapbook (I haven't printed out pics since he was about 2 months old). I've sort of failed in that last regard. So, here's some updating on his brazilliance.
He's still not really talking. Although, I guess you could count his first word as "hello". He does greet people with that. (Picture him back at the library stopping to say hello to every kid that he passed in between throwing a fit because I was trying to help push the stroller.) I think he's been saying "ball" and "duck" and possibly "Elmo" and "onion". It's so hard to tell because he doesn't say anything consistently--except "hello". He did start signing out of nowhere. He now does the sign for "more" and "all done" all.of.the.time. Whenever he wants something he'll sign "more" and when he's finished with something he'll sign "done". He's been signing "banana" and "bath" for awhile. He signed "bird" today.
Lu's also been sick for pretty much all of August. Started with the roseola, went on to have poo issues for 3 1/2 weeks, and now has a cold complete with fever, cough, and runny nose. He hasn't had a fever in 24 hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that daycare's a go on Tuesday. Speaking of daycare, this week is Lu's first friday there. Tom's made the executive decision that he's going five days a week this year. I'm assuming that's just one more day that he has a chance to get sick...so, he'll probably be home even more!

As for me, I got my first allergy shot last Thursday. No reaction to it--Woohoo! Supposedly I'll start feeling the effects within 4-6 months. Let's hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the first picture sure looks like Darren. Sneaky, Sneaky. Maybe he'll mellow out as he gets older. Alex used to have horrible tantrums. Maybe he's just frustrated because he can't communicate (talk) as well yet.
Auntie Cindy

Eve said...

He definitely has tantrums because he gets frustrated if he can't do something by himself or if we tell him "no". He doesn't like that very much.